Introduction to the CPAP Machines
A CPAP machine is a device that is used to treat people that are suffering from sleep apnea. These machines are extremely effective for treating sleep apnea and providing relief from this problematic condition.
Sleep apnea is a condition where a person’s airway has a blockage in it that prevents oxygen from getting to the vital organs and body. This can be very detrimental to a person’s health not to mention causing them to get very poor quality sleep.
If you have or a loved one has been diagnosed with sleep apnea you will need to find a good quality CPAP machine to use at night. The way a CPAP machine works is to provide the body with a continuous flow of air that keeps the airway open. There are several things you will need to look at and consider when it comes to choosing the right CPAP machine for your needs.
This guide has been designed to help you learn these considerations and points and sort through the different manufacturers so you make the right selection. This information will make the selection process much simpler.
Top Ranked CPAP Machines
DreamStation Auto CPAP
This modern looking machine has many of the advanced features needed to make the most of your CPAP therapy. It increases your comfort level as well.
Some of the many features available with this important machine include the display that advanced data can be reviewed on, or the user can download it from the SD card or even view it via Bluetooth from the DreamMapper app.
This auto adjusting machine will adjust the pressure on its own and gauges it on an individual breath basis to provide the user with the best possible pressure.
Other features include A-flex pressure relief, Optistart technology, a colorful display, and a stylish user friendly design.
It comes with a heated tube and humidifier to avoid overly dry air going into the airway and causing discomfort.
The machine measure 7.6” x 6.2” x 3.3” and weighs less than 3 pounds which makes the unit lighter than other systems that are made by Respironics.
The large dial on front makes navigating the menu and settings super simple. The light sensor on top allows the machine’s screen brightness level according to the light level in the room. The filters are easily removed and changed and are reusable for maximum convenience.
DreamStation CPAP Pro with humidifier
This CPAP Pro fixed pressure machine will provide the therapy you need through its advanced features that includes WiFi and cell phone capability.
An intuitive menu that makes the device simple and easy to use, an ambient light sensor that will automatically adjust the screens brightness according to the light in the room.
There is also a two step air filtration system that provides the user with additional filtration of even very tiny particles, and SD card for storing data and much more.
This CPAP Pro has a heated tube, heated humidifier to prevent over drying of the air, a power supply and carry case for travel convenience.
The noise level is approximately 25.8 dB. Users can get daily progress reports on the display for up to 3 previous nights’ therapy to track their own progress and see how they are responding to it.
This machine comes with a full 2 year manufacturer’s warranty.
DreamStation BiPAP Pro with humidifier
This Dreamstation BiPAP Pro has a humidifier and many other features that make it a superior machine for treating sleep apnea. This stylish design is smaller and takes up a lot less room on the nightstand than other models do.
It is also 28% lighter so traveling with it is much easier, especially if you don’t bring the humidifier. This model has more monitoring options than any other CPAP brand.
The performance check feature makes in home device evaluation and reduces the chances that it will need to be returned for service.
With the EZ start feature, there are automatic adjustments that are made to the CPAP pressure that will help patients acclimate gradually to the level of therapy they need and have been prescribed.
The daily progress feedback feature displays the user’s use each night to show the progress that they are making. The humidifier that comes with this BiPAP is pre heated and also has a fixed heated tube that is adaptive as well. This 1 piece design has a dishwasher safe water chamber so it stays bacteria free and safe.
CPAP Machines Summary
The most commonly prescribed form of treatment for sleep apnea is a CPAP machine. You will need a prescription from a doctor to purchase a CPAP machine. For this reason you will need to see a doctor to get a formal diagnosis. Once this is done, you will need to find the best CPAP machine for your needs.
The three CPAP machines featured above are all excellent devices that are manufactured by the top brands in the industry. All of them have a humidifier and many different features that make it easy to use and easy for the user to track progress and response to the therapy.
To learn more about choosing the right CPAP machine, read the following buyer’s guide. The information in this guide will educate you on what to look for when searching for the right CPAP for your specific needs and diagnosis. With the right knowledge, selecting the perfect machine will be much simpler.
CPAP Machine Buyers Guide
CPAP Machine Parts
There are three parts to a CPAP machine that are part of the therapy for those who suffer from sleep apnea:
- The CPAP unit itself
- The tube (or hose)
- The Mask
The way it all comes together is that the machine is responsible for blowing the air, the hose carries it from the machine to the user and the mask is how the airway is kept open. Although it sounds complicated, the majority of CPAP machines are not too difficult to figure out. The ones that we have shared with you are all easy to use and understand.
Things to Ask Yourself
We have listed some things below for you to think about before you purchase your CPAP machine. The answers to these questions will help steer you in the right direction when sorting through the different models.
- Will your insurance cover the cost of your sleep apnea therapy? If this is the case, make sure that the machine you choose tracks data so you can prove to the insurance company that you are being compliant with the equipment.
- How severe is your condition? – If you are dealing with a mild case of sleep apnea, a basic CPAP device will work just fine for you. If your condition is moderate to severe you will want a higher grade, professional machine or even a BiPAP machine which is the fanciest you can get.
- How much air pressure do you need? – High pressure settings need to be worked into, so getting a machine that increases the pressure gradually and adjusts it automatically on a breath by breath basis is the best choice. This will improve the comfort level for the user significantly.
CPAP Machine Features that Improve Comfort
Additional Features for Top Rated CPAP Machines
There are some additional features that some CPAP machines have. Your own personal needs and preferences will determine which of these additional features you may want to look for when researching machines.
- CPAP Mask – The mask is one of the most important features of the CPAP machine. If you don’t find the right mask for your sleep apnea the machine you buy won’t matter at all so pay close attention to how the mask fits and feels. You will need it to have a closed seal at the mouth or nose to ensure an effective treatment. If the machine you choose doesn’t come with a mask, look for the best one you can find before you choose your CPAP machine. If the mask is uncomfortable or doesn’t fit properly, you will be tempted to stop your therapy.
- Humidifier – Another important and special feature for a CPAP machine is the humidifier. One of the side effects of using a CPAP machine is having a dry nose. This can lead to nosebleeds and other problems. A humidifier keeps the air comfortable and adds moisture to it so the user can breathe normally and not be uncomfortable. Remember to clean the humidifier daily to avoid and problems with mold or dust.
- Ramp – This is a very handy feature that allows the user to start the CPAP machine at a lower pressure at the beginning of the night. After a certain time, the pressure will continue to increase until it reaches the level the doctor has prescribed. This is definitely a comfort feature and one that helps users sleep more easily when it doesn’t hit them all at once.
- Relief when Exhaling – Some manufacturers add an exhale relief feature that makes breathing out much easier when you are using a CPAP.
- Data Capability – This is a feature that some CPAP machines use to gather the data from your therapy sessions. This data will include leak data, pressure data and more. You want to have a data capable CPAP machine so you are able to see the types of events you have when you are using the machine while you sleep. It is important to keep track of your progress and manage your treatments just like someone with diabetes or high blood pressure has to do.
- Portability – If you are a traveler, you want to purchase a CPAP machine that is small and easy to carry with you. Some can be so small they fit into a briefcase if needed. Some of the manufacturers have carrying cases that make traveling with the CPAP much more convenient.
Make sure that you look at all the different features that are available before you purchase a CPAP unit. It is also important to know exactly what your treatment requires and what the guidelines are for your treatment.
With the different features and models that are available, it is important to do some comparisons and research on the different models. A CPAP machine is a very important piece of equipment that can improve your health so it needs to be treated as such when you are looking to purchase yours.
The information in this guide will help you understand exactly what to look for and what features you will need to decide on. This makes the whole process easy and virtually stress free.